Best Beef Stew
Jan 16 2014
I make this about once a week in the winter, and it satisfies everyone! Be sure to scroll down for the How-To video!
3 tbsp oil
1 pound beef stew meat
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 large cloves garlic
3/4 cup red wine
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 large carrots, washed and chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
3 bay leaves
water or stock
salt and pepper
For the roux (Optional; will make a thicker soup):
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Sauté beef in hot oil until browned. Add some salt and pepper as the beef cooks.
- When beef is brown all over, remove beef and juice from pot and place in bowl. Set beef aside.
- Heat remaining oil in stockpot. Don’t bother cleaning out the beef residue.
- Add onions, and sauté until softened and a bit translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add wine and Worcestershire and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes (or sub other root veggie), carrots and herbs.
- Add water or stock to cover and simmer, partially covered, over medium low heat until beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To make roux:
- Heat butter in small saucepan until melted.
- Add flour and stir slowly but constantly until mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add to soup and stir in.
Simmer about 5-10 minutes until thickened.
How To Video