(Not my) Tomato Jam
Not a fan of tomato jam? (Hey, it rhymed!) This recipe will change your mind. (uh, dare I point out..naaah)
Seriously, though, this recipe from Food in Jars is delicious. Whole jars disappear before my eyes. It is the BEST with great Wisconsin cheese on crackers. Make it before the frost comes.
- 5 pounds tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a large, non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to a simmer. Stirring regularly, simmer** the jam until it reduces to a sticky, jammy mess. This will take between 1 and 1 1/2 hours, depending on how high you keep your heat.
- When the jam has cooked down sufficiently, remove from heat and fill jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space. Wipe rims, apply lids and twist on rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, remove jars from water bath and allow them to cool. When jars are cool enough to handle, test seals. Store jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year.
Published on Sep 21 2015
Categories: Preserves and Canning, Recipes